Handing in finds to Treasure Trove
You can make an appointment to meet with a Treasure Trove staff member at the National Museum of Scotland in Edinburgh. You must make an appointment in advance by using the bookings system (here) or e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note: TTU staff will only have availability on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
We will not be able to meet individuals who do not have an appointment.
Once an appointment has been agreed:
- You should make yourself known to Visitor Experience staff at the help desk in the main entrance hall upon arrival at the National Museum of Scotland, stating your name and time of appointment. You will then be directed to wait at the visitor desk.
- Due to limited meeting space, we ask that no more than three individuals attend the appointment.
- Paperwork - such as Reporting Forms with full find-spot information - should be completed in advance of the meeting.
- Meetings will be time limited to allow for more appointments per day. Please bear this in mind if you have a large number of items. We ask that you do not bring more than 30 items in at a time. If you have more than this, you will need to email us to request a special booking.
- A digital receipt for any objects handed in will be issued by email after your appointment, rather than in person.
The museum address is:
National Museum of Scotland, Chambers Street, Edinburgh, EH1 1JF
It can be found here:
- Please inform the TTU (email@example.com) in advance that you wish to post your find(s).
- Posting finds is ultimately at the finder’s own risk; objects deemed fragile should not be posted. You may be advised by the TTU that an object should not be posted and an alternative method will be sought.
- Any finds which are posted should be packaged securely, with the artefacts wrapped with bubble wrap or tissue paper. Find should be sent to Treasure Trove Unit, Department of Scottish History and Archaeology, National Museums Scotland, Chambers Street, Edinburgh EH1 1JF.
- Please include sender information, including a completed Reporting Form if this has not been provided via email.
- Please ensure that any postal method is tracked.
Outreach events/local museums
We are planning outreach events across the country at a number of museums. You can hand over finds at these events, but will need to book an appointment slot. Once we have arranged an outreach event, we will post information about it and how to book an appointment slot on our events page here: https://treasuretrovescotland.co.uk/information/events/